Saturday, November 14, 2015

Similarities between Rape and Mormon Culture








I recognize that this article will upset people.  While it does concern me that reading this might provoke feelings in others that are uncomfortable, I hope it will spark conversation and dialog about the real problems in similarity between Mormon Culture and rape.  Yes, it is scary.  But, to steal a much beloved Mormon saying, "You can do hard things!"

If you immediately want to tell me I have no right to compare rape and Mormon culture because I don't know rape, you are wrong.  I do.  First hand.  Those gory details are not for this article; but are part of my life story; part of my "rough stone rolling". 

Recently I started speaking out in church.  It has felt wonderful, and terrible all at once.  I've questioned the ideas of what I've termed "Mormon Thinking", and laughed at a lot of our cultural superstitions.  I've also spoken out about how I dislike our disgust of people's pain and suffering.  The stories that make people human are also the most uncomfortable to hear.  This makes them the most important for us to hear. 






My predisposition to anxiety and depression was made worse by being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  My constant worry about being better, doing better, and vanquishing the "natural man" inside of me led to anguish.  When I attempted to voice these feelings of genuine pain, they were squashed.  On the spot.  Obviously, I wasn't praying/reading the scriptures/fasting etc. enough.  It was my lack of spirituality that caused the pain, not the actions of others.  Not the culture of silence.

Being abused or raped is wrapped in silence.  You are often told no one will believe you, so what is the point of saying anything at all?  You often BELIEVE no one will believe you.  You know it is not safe to speak out.  You will lose everything.  You could lose your job, your home, your social circle, your friends, your family, your spouse.  People will think less of or differently about you. 

Now take out "rape" in the above paragraph and insert "questioning the church". 

Being a questioner in the church is wrapped in silence.  You are often told no one will believe you, so what is the point of saying anything at all?  You often BELIEVE no one will believe you.  You know it is not safe to speak out.  You will lose everything.  You could lose your job, your home, your social circle, your friends, your family, your spouse.  People will think less of or differently about you.

Does this hit home? 

It did for me. 

When I went through a disciplinary counsel, I was told to erase all social media posts I may have written about my "sin" and the process of my church discipline.  This bothered me.  How does healing happen in silence?  Isn't the point of therapy to speak through our sorrows in order to understand a higher truth?  To get deeper, closer, and more precise on the path to finding peace?  Why was I being told (not asked) to be quiet?  Was the Church afraid of something? 

I brushed it off.  I've been a church apologist for years.  I served a mission and had a lot of practice brushing off unpleasant ideas with the sweep of "lack of understanding of a higher doctrine."  It bothered me, though I was more inclined to believe that my feelings of uncertainty were in regards to my lack of faith.  Blaming the victim perhaps?

Rape blames the victim.  You were dressed inappropriately.  You were leading him/her on.  You were in the wrong place at the wrong time.  You shouldn't have done this, or that, or been here, or there. 

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints often employs this same thinking pattern.  Do not get me wrong.  I do not believe most members do it on purpose.  I believe it is just so deeply ingrained into each of us that we cannot see it until it is pointed out to us. 

An example:  A friend of mine left the church.  She then was severely abused by her active Mormon husband.  I heard whispers of, "It must be hard for him to live with an apostate."  "She just lost the spirit."  You'd better believe I listened hard for those "What a horrible thing.  He should be in jail" whispers.  Those didn't happen. 

Another example:  A young LDS girl was pressured into having sex with her active LDS boyfriend.  I heard lots of "She's always been an immodest dresser" and "Boys will be boys."  Yes, in the church, boys will be boys and girls will be ostracized. 


Speak out about things you do not like?  You are immediately labeled, just as many rape victims are.  "Apostate" gets tossed out there a lot.  As my previous article mentioned, people can get scriptural in their labels:  "Tares", "Korihor", and "doubting Thomas" are just a few.  You are told you are murmuring, fighting against God, and that you lack understanding.  Just as rape is condescending, so too can the people labeling you be. 

Rape is about Control. 

I worked as a Victim Advocate for a Police Department.  It was often drilled into us that rape was about control, not about sex.  We were taught that abusers thrive on bullying others into doing their will.  The sense of power is so rewarding they cannot let it go, and will do anything to continue to feel it. 

WARNING:  Many of you will not like this.  

I believe the LDS church thrives because of control. 

As always, I do not believe 98% of the members feel this way, or make the connection.  Up until I sent in my resignation letter, I did not either. 

Do you want to be with your family forever?  Give us money, time, and energy.  Do you want to reach the highest level of Heaven?  Do not laugh loudly, speak badly of the Lord's anointed, or follow others who do.  Do you want happiness?  Do not shop on Sunday, eat certain foods, or watch certain movies.  You find great freedom in obedience to God.  And them's the rules kids. 


I have been afraid my entire life of saying no.  I've been afraid to say no.  If I say I can't physically or emotionally handle a calling, I'm losing blessings.  If I ask a question, I'm afraid I'll be accused of apostasy.  If I listen to someone's story and feel sympathetic to it, I'm letting Satan in to my heart and mind. 

These are scary things.  These are things I spent years hiding from.  As a child, I was always worried I was letting Satan in.  Satan!  The Devil!  That is TERRIFYING to a child.  I was being terrified because I was afraid to say no to a calling?  I was being scared into submission because I wasn't comfortable opening up with other church members about my doubts?  This is control.  The sneakiest, most subtle form.

I'm not asking anyone to do anything.  Just consider this.  Consider this as you sit and listen to the lessons on Sunday.  Ask yourself if you feel comfortable questioning, or if you fear it.  Allow yourself a moment to examine your feelings about the Church.  If it makes you utterly happy, then be in it!  If it brings you pain, suffering and anxiety, examine why, and act according to the dictates of your own conscience. 

You are smart, wonderful, and worthy, JUST AS YOU ARE.  You can be happy.  And you can be as LOUD as you need to be.

12 comments:

  1. Ding ding ding! It was leaving my abusive marriage that made me scrutinize the patterns of power and control within the church as well. And once I saw them, I couldn't ignore them anymore. I wanted to be done living in fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big eye opener for me was when I read about traits of abusive codependent relationships. After, I realized that I was in a codependent relationship with the church. For many of the reasons you list here. It isn't an emotionally healthy environment for many people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it is more of a Utah thing or something we put on ourselves? I was raped a lot at a young age, so I know something about being raped and controlled. I have felt the spirit tell me to not be afraid to speak out because the only people the benefit are the devil and the rapist. And I have spoken out. I spoke to my bishop (who didn't know how to respond and totally messed everything up), Relief Society, to friends and acquiantances and I'd be happy to speak about it in sunday school. I've talked in sacrament how my dad was abused by my mother until the day he died a slow and miserable death. Part of me told myself to be quiet and I'd look out for those whom I made uncomfortable. But I've also gotten so much positive feedback from being honest and forthright about life by people, I have a confidence where I don't fear speaking my truth at church. Most people appreciate it and find it enlightening, there are a few who are private and made uncomfortable who want me to be quiet, and those are louder than the rest. But that's five versus fifty. I wonder if it's those five that are making us think we shouldn't say no to callings. I have felt the spirit tell me certain things that wouldn't be okay according to those certain Mormons but were what I needed in my life at that time. I just think that the culture can be stifling but those of us need to stick with it knowing that Heavenly Father is asking us to (that's how I've felt) and to be an encouraging change towards more openness. The shame is something doctrine and the spirit doesn't put on us, but humans and myself. Screw the shame, it's stupid. And it doesn't make the spirit fake or God not real. I think you just have to find your own happy medium and the gospel has blessed me innumerably. I would have killed myself or been a prostitute whom no one had to pay if it hadn't have been for the gospel. I just had to say that I disagree. I think a lot is these mental games we play with ourselves, I've totally been there. Although I do respect your opinions, so I don't mean to be rude towards you in disageeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if it is more of a Utah thing or something we put on ourselves? I was raped a lot at a young age, so I know something about being raped and controlled. I have felt the spirit tell me to not be afraid to speak out because the only people the benefit are the devil and the rapist. And I have spoken out. I spoke to my bishop (who didn't know how to respond and totally messed everything up), Relief Society, to friends and acquiantances and I'd be happy to speak about it in sunday school. I've talked in sacrament how my dad was abused by my mother until the day he died a slow and miserable death. Part of me told myself to be quiet and I'd look out for those whom I made uncomfortable. But I've also gotten so much positive feedback from being honest and forthright about life by people, I have a confidence where I don't fear speaking my truth at church. Most people appreciate it and find it enlightening, there are a few who are private and made uncomfortable who want me to be quiet, and those are louder than the rest. But that's five versus fifty. I wonder if it's those five that are making us think we shouldn't say no to callings. I have felt the spirit tell me certain things that wouldn't be okay according to those certain Mormons but were what I needed in my life at that time. I just think that the culture can be stifling but those of us need to stick with it knowing that Heavenly Father is asking us to (that's how I've felt) and to be an encouraging change towards more openness. The shame is something doctrine and the spirit doesn't put on us, but humans and myself. Screw the shame, it's stupid. And it doesn't make the spirit fake or God not real. I think you just have to find your own happy medium and the gospel has blessed me innumerably. I would have killed myself or been a prostitute whom no one had to pay if it hadn't have been for the gospel. I just had to say that I disagree. I think a lot is these mental games we play with ourselves, I've totally been there. Although I do respect your opinions, so I don't mean to be rude towards you in disageeing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I listened to most (ran out of time) of your mormonstories interview. You make very valid and profound points. I listened intently and understood so much of it with my heart. I'm 62, and I've come to a point where the gospel is forefront in my life. The gospel. The gospel. The purity of the love of God. I hope your lifequest keeps you close to that. Subtract ALL the culture. Sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Courageous Laura,
    Your story is moving, empathy inducing, raw, refreshing, and sincere. I give you my best wishes in your quest for peace and happiness. I believe you've done a great "good" by finding a loud microphone. Your story will make a difference for goodness and love in a countless number of lives.

    Bless you and good luck.
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I love how you can still say that the most important thing is compassion. After all you've been through. Loved your Mormon Stories interview. How did we get so far away from love your neighbor?! Best reason to leave ever- the lack of empathy and joy.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  8. I partially enjoyed your podcast on Mormon Stories, the part that made me feel very sad was your referencing yourself as the "Bad Seed" and being critical of yourself for having the strength to say: "This isn't working for me, it doesn't seem right". People fear that if they see others as being normal who might be dismissive of seeing the "Truth and Perfection" within their belief system, the that chink in the armor with start to grow on them and they will doubt. I have the same feelings and experiences as you did, the same steps in life, I am also the Bad Sheep, but it's a badge of honor in some ways. I have to think to ponder, I don't believe because others do nor avoid questioning what makes no sense. I appreciated your honesty and courage. I wish you only happiness and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this. I feel like we have lived similar lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for what you've written. Reading it reminded me of this: http://likenallscriptures.weebly.com/blog/setting-ourselves-up-for-abuse.

    Thank you for your Mormon Stories interview. I have experience in miniature with some of the things I imagine you're confronting right now, and I appreciated your openness and candor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many things about what you just wrote that are mirror images of my life right now. I agree with you. The Church definition of 'obedience' is really about control. Control in all aspects of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! It was beautiful! How do we get your permission to use it or post it?

    What you wrote applies to all religions and organizations and businesses on general. As well as family associations, sociAl groups and even our friends!

    It was so well written and easily understood and useable as a self help tool!

    ReplyDelete